Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. TruckerForum has changed it's look and feel! Tell us what you think!
  2. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Schneider Trucking

Discussion in 'Trucking Companies' started by Dan, Dec 24, 2006.

1. PeteNasty

PeteNasty New Member

Yah Rainman. There is an incredible turnover rate in the industry as it is. It takes a certain breed of person to really commit to the life they expect of you. Not many people stay with a long haul company for a lifetime. I wouldn't last more than a year or two with the kind of stories I hear.

The other thing I noticed is that these Big companies are just gateway companies. Guys come and get their 6-12 months of "OTR" experience and move onto a better company.
  2. wiltz3

wiltz3 New Member

Schneider National

I worked for Schneider for about 5 years and had a great experience with them as a company driver. I started out pulling dry box for about 6 months and was bored out of my mind. I wanted to do something different . . . and went to Schneider's tanker school in Coropolis,PA (Iron City) Enjoyed every bit of pulling tanks. I now have a Government job and drive a gas truck part-time, because I miss being behind the wheel of a big truck.
  3. polvorin68

polvorin68 New Member

ME 2 GOT SOME ORANGE

:cry: YEAP I WORK 4 THEM START OK THEN SLOWME DOWN TO THA POINT I HAVE 2 GO TEAMING WHIT OTRER DRIVERS THA WAS THA OFFERT MY STL GIVE ME USELY GOT BRAND NEW DRIVERS FROM THER SCHOOL 2 YRS CANT PUT UP ENY MORE WHITH 6 DIFFERT DRIVERS SOO I WHANTED BE MORE CLOSE TO HOME SO ITAKE DADICATED ACCOUNT DELIVERING PARTS TO CAR DEALERS ON SALARY OF 730 A WK THINGIN WAS GOIT TO BE OK AFTER TAX N INSURACE N ALL THA BS THA CAMES WHIT IT I WAS TAKING HME 470 AWK SO SOON I WAS FOLING BACK ON BILLS SO I WENT BACK TO OTR WHEN TO A CRAP NO MILES LIVE LOAD LIVE UNLOAD THEY GOT ME SO TIRE OF THER BS N NO MONEY LUCKY .I FOUND A GREAT COMPANY IN SD HALLING CEMENT WHIT REAL NICE PETES IM HOME EVERY DAY WKNS OFF CANT SAY INOFF ABOUT THIS COMPANY . BUT SNA NOOOO. TNX PUT UP 4YRS TOO MUCH BS. ESPECIALY PACIFIC COAST STL.SSSACK THAS ALL
  4. bigcountry1214

bigcountry1214 New Member

I drove for Schneider, was doing great...until they started switching dispatchers on me. In 7 months I had 5 different dispatchers, and none of them had a clue about driving. I had one tell me that I had to make a 14 hour trip in 11 hours or I would get a service failure. I don't know about other drivers, but I try hard not to run illegal, but sometimes you don't have much of a choice. Overall, I enjoyed driving for them, didn't really have too many problems.. The last month I drove for them was the worst, but you live and learn. I was finally "let go", after jackknifing in Laredo. Fortunately, nobody else was involved, and I walked away. By the grace of God. So, a year later, I'm not driving, getting ready to go back to school and switch careers. I was told I'd have to wait at least 3 years until the 2 minor incidents and the jackknife were cleared off my DAC. None of them are listed on my DMV records. I'd like to drive again, but I can't afford to wait that long. So, for now I'm doing something else....
  5. auntattitude

auntattitude New Member

I am looking for someone that drives or used to drive for this company. His name is dale edward waddell i used to have his truck number but have since lost it. he is originally from 29 palms california. if ne one knows him or can tell me how to get a hold of him please let me know.
  6. southwind

southwind New Member

Can someone that works for Schneider tell how things are with the intermodal division .. Is it inpossible to to get into it?
    thanks Tom
  7. s1ckOh

s1ckOh New Member

i started with schneider hauling tankers. great driving experience but a bad idea for a newbie. way way too much work for someone who is just learning. i had a heck of a time getting my earned home time (which is why i quit). my 4 days earned was being reduced to 1. unacceptable. also the bulk division doesnt route off the qualcomm and if you cant afford a gps unit you have to do everything off the map. which isnt the problem. the problem was if you dont take the state routes and cut-offs and every back road that a trainer prescribed for the route then you will have several out of route miles, for which you get talked to about. my reply to it was "if i dont know the easiest route then i have to find it. if i take too much time finding it, then it cuts into whatever sleep i can get with the qualcomm blowing up asking my status or whetever else they send." i wish i had started with teams.
  8. kempm524

kempm524 New Member

Schneider would not even give me a chance as a student driver and im so glad they didnt because now i have a job with a major company as a student driver making great $$$$.All i can say is just because these minor league companys dont give you a chance , never give up because theres always somebody bigger with something better. good luck to you all
  9. Frederick

Frederick New Member

I applied at Schneider-went thru all the tests and was told I dint pass the physical because I didnt lift the 40lb basket over my head. All the others were ok. I cant figure why you have to pass everything 100 per cent is all.
  10. SHEETMAN2002

SHEETMAN2002 New Member

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT ARE THE BEST COMPANYS TO DRIVE FOR? THE THING IS I HAVE DROVE LOCAL FOR OVER SEVEN YEARS,NO ONE WANTS TO HIRE ME WITHOUT OTR EXP.I RUN 1000 TO 1600 MILES A WEEK BUT IN 1 STATE. ALL MY EXP IS WITH A FLAT BED
    I HAVE BEEN OFFERED TO GO TO OREINTATION AT CELADON AND SCHNEIDER NATIONAL,WHICH WOULD BE BETTER? OR CAN ANYONE DIRECT ME TO THE RIGHT CO.I HERE MOST COMPANYS DONT LET YOU IDLE YOUR TRUCKS.HOW DO YOU GET BY WHEN ITS 80-90-100 DEGREES OUTSIDE? THEY WANT YOU TO SLEEP BUT HOW? WHEN YOUR DOWN FOR 36 HOURS TO RESET YOUR HOURS, YOU CANT! LIVE IN A SWEAT BOX? THIS IS CRUEL AND UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT.WHAT DO YOU DO?
  11. treedodgingfool

treedodgingfool New Member

I was just given an conditional hire by Schneider and will be going out for orientation on Jan. 31 in Harrisburg/Carlisle terminal. Being a fresh rookie out of CDL school, It was stressed to me by everyone to research heavily before applying which I did (spent two straight weeks researching and a few days by phone calling and questioning). For a local in NJ, and available hometime (very important since I don't pay for a mortgage not to be home ever), Schneider hired me (conditions of course) for a regional route. The regional route works out to 6 days on and 3 days off. They split-up two trucks between a three driver rotation out of a Fairless Hills, PA location to always keep the trucks rolling while providing good hometime. The regional route will require travel from Virginia up to Ontario and Quebec, Canada.

In my research, most companies that are willing to train newbies where the CDL schools leave-off are large companies and normally only offer long-hauls with rarely a day off, which I understand. It's a big risk taking somebody fresh to the industry with high expectations, spending money and time training them and throwing them into $175,000 of equipment and sending them down the road hoping they won't screw something-up or decide they don't like it.

First things first, I'll have to make it through a three week orientation, so we'll see how that goes and whether they uphold the promises made in their conditions. I did not read too many negatives about the company on a whole, so hopefully my first trucking job and company is kind to me. I look forward to working my azz-off for six days as long as I get my three days at home to ride and spend with my husband.
  12. BLAKOWT

BLAKOWT New Member

GREETINGS treedodgingfool and WELCOME TO TRUCKERFORUM,

Schneider is one of the better companies yet be aware that recruiters are paid whether or not those they speak with get hired.

Conditional Hire is the same as Pre-Hired and doesn't mean you're hired.
    You must pass all stringent requirements in orientation and ANYTHING they deem a problem (driving record, criminal record, etc. REGARDLESS THE AGE of incident/report/conviction) can toss you out.
    Your work history can be a problem too, as MANY OF US WELL KNOW.
    Just like US Express and most other LARGE CARRIERS, your Background work IS DONE IN ORIENTATION.

Be excited yet contain it!!

BE CAREFUL with the sleep apnea questionnaire (if presented and similar to this: http://www.bami.us/Sleep/SleepScale.html) because answering truthfully can well get you exhausted from further consideration.
    A total of 8+ points can easily require you to take a sleep study AT YOUR COST from $2,000.00- $6,000.00 with results not always being accepted for Driving.
    It's simply another knife in the truck drivers' back, like the cell phone penalty, e-logs, NO IDLING, castrated trucks, etc.

Good Luck!!
    CHEERS!!
  13. bmelton72

bmelton72 New Member

My class started with 6 and was cut down to 3 by the end of the first week before we even hit the road with a trainer. All three cuts were for good reason. One guy could not turn without running the rear tandems on the sidewalk by three feet or more. One guy totally forgot everything he learned in CDL school and the third did not show up for day two and claimed he had car trouble.

I am through my second week and am loving it. Final week to go and that will be spent in classroom learning the Qualcomm unit.
  14. Mustang

Mustang Moderator Staff Member

A whole week on Quallcom? I had half a day and struggled to stay awake.

Pretty simple stuff, actually. If you can operate a laptop, which you obviously can, you will have no problem.

Keep up the good work and I hope it works out for you.
  15. bmelton72

bmelton72 New Member

Now down to just me. Should be done with soft skills and road test by Tuesday afternoon. May get tractor assignment as soon as Wednesday.
  16. Mustang

Wow. At least you sould be getting personalized attention.
  17. Jasrace

Jasrace New Member

I went to Schneider in 2004 for CDL training. I completed the course and the two weeks with an a-hole of a trainer. I was at the house for two weeks wanting for my truck. I finally called them and asked them about going to work. The lady I spoke to informed me that they thought I had quit. WTF?

I told her I had been waiting on their phone call as instructed by them. She told me to call some other day. I was so pissed I didn't go back to work for them. I should have b/c it cost me $3500 in tuition cost that I payed back.

I ending up going to work for USA truck three months later. I had to go with a trainer again for another two weeks. I was basically used to make the guy money as he didn't teach me anything and had to go back out with another trainer driver for an additional two weeks. Apparently floating gears is frown upon by driving test instructors. Work for them for 2.5yrs.

I'm out of the OTR game now luckily. Now work in the oilfield. A CDL does open doors in this line of work.

I had a friend who also worked for USA truck, he quit too, went on to work for a local company. He also has a speech impediment , some people have a hard time understanding his speech sometimes. He was told to come to orientation for heartland express. After showing up , they told him they couldn't hire him because of his speech problem. The guy has previous OTR expirence. I told him to sue them for discrimination but he didn't listen to me.

I pretty much hate OTR companies now. Unless you're an owner op, don't see how anyone does it. Slavery.
  18. moonpie

moonpie Member

if you decide on joining schnieder ask about the " CHOICE PROGRAM" you need to get on the choice board to make better money and you schedule all your own loads so you schedule all your home time also. I was on the milage program for about 18 months and barely making it, but now on the choice program I'm doing much better.
  19. BLAKOWT

BLAKOWT New Member

Interesting in that you stated you completed training with Schneider yet they FAILED to continue their end of the bargain.
    Since they FAILED to uphold their end of the bargain, I would have refused to "pay them back" (having done such to a "training school" in '98 that claimed I failed the course yet acquired the CDL-A).
    EVERYONE does what's good for them.

Owner Operators are SLAVES too. Can't Drive without IFTA, TAGS, INSURANCE, TAXES, ETC.
    EVERY DRIVER is a SLAVE of some form regardless of Pay, Benefits, Home Time, Union affiliation, etc. Some SLAVES are swapped for other SLAVES. Color of no importance!!
    Oil Field Work is another form of SLAVERY, yet much nastier and deadlier.

CHEERS!!
  20. Mustang

I wonder what happened to this guy?
    Now he has left me hanging.