Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. TruckerForum has changed it's look and feel! Tell us what you think!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice

petition for truckers' rights

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by TruckerPetition_org, Jul 7, 2012.

1. TruckerPetition_org

TruckerPetition_org New Member

Hi! A group of drivers who are sick of the "commando" attitude of the DOT have put up a petition. We have a website (www.truckerpetition.org) and a facebook page to go along with the petition.

And we're collecting DOT horror stories. If you had a run-in with a bad cop, we want to hear your story.(You will be anonymous.)

We want to get 1,000,000 signatures and present the petition and database of DOT horror stories to the US Commission on Civil Rights in Washington DC. The top 10 (true) stories will be offered a paid trip with us to the meeting. Everyone else can come but we can't pay for ya =)

In the end what we'd like to see is a "Driver Sovereignty Bill" where we re-assert our Bill of Rights.(details on website)

We're all about safety but the government interference is oppressive!

If you agree please visit our website and sign the petition.
    AND TELL YOUR FRIENDS!(facebook)

All truckers rights groups and facebook pages are welcome to join us. We need as many signatures and stories as possible!

Thanks,
    TruckerPetition.org

PS.... We need donations too but signing the petition is FREE so c'mon!

2. BLAKOWT

BLAKOWT New Member

A few spelling errors on the Petition site.

PROOFREADING presents PROFESSIONALISM.

Under Call Them Out:
    Your story will be anonymous unless selected as a contest winner, in which case you will be asked (not required) (to) take your story public and join our enjoy to Washington DC.
    You meant envoy (as used in other script and spelled correctly)

Under Petition/Story drive:
    A petition has been drawn up, to ask the US Commission on Civil Rights to assist us on creating a "Driver Sovereignty Bill" to be presented to Congress. With a petition, we can get a lot of drivers together -- enough to make a big stink in Washington DC. Of course, at the same time our petition calls on the government to shape up, we call on ourselves to act like the professions we are.
    Professionals
    A BETTER sentence ending is WE, as Professional Truckers, represent.

In the opening statement of the Petition, there are some errors where Capitalizing words were apparently not considered:

United States federal government--why not Federal Government?
    American citizen--Yes, there are two classes however it would present better with Citizen.
    Why not Safety Regulations, Truck Drivers, Constitutional Rights??

Capitalizing certain words afford PROFESSIONALISM.
    --of course one can easily go out of route with Capitalization--

Just some things I saw and this post is merely of suggestive purpose.

With a plethora of similar constructs and attempts by Truck Drivers to get the attention of our fettered government, I'll watch this Petition signature gathering for I see no applicable resolution of the Petition.
    The BEST WAY to get the attention of our fettered government is to STOP TRANSPORTING ANYTHING BY TRUCK. --such action worked once in Italy yet they're a small country and it was for Fuel price decrease--
    Said idea(s) (trucker strike, trucker petition, etc.) has/have been (a) rampant IDEA(S) since the 50s or before and has/have resulted in nothing gained for Trucking, apart from the egregiously negative Deregulation.

Hope you the best in your quest!!

CHEERS!!

3. TruckerPetition_org

thanks for the corrections

Rite on, TY! I used spellchecker and I think it changed some things. Good call, will fix asap.

On the capitalization, I ask you to look again and consider how I wrote it. If you still disagree on my use of capitalization, let me know. I thought it was good, as only proper nouns should be capitalized. I stand by "American citizen" rather than "American Citizen." If you can prove me wrong I would be glad to hear it so I can be correct.

Thanks for engaging on grammar (etc), so many people are dumbed down these days its refreshing to be kept on my toes about it again.

--V--

PS The movement will hire professional legal, marketing, and IT people when we get large enough. We're just a couple of drivers trying to get it started right now.

4. TruckerPetition_org

comments on the movement itself

Aside from typos, any comments from anyone on the movement itself?

5. BLAKOWT

BLAKOWT New Member

You are correct in the "American citizen" usage.

You're WELCOME!!

10-2, 10-4, 10-10, 10-67.

CHEERS!!

6. donotpissontheseat

donotpissontheseat New Member

I believe all truckers have rights but we also have responsibilities. One of the reasons I think DOT has become more strict is because we have abused our responsibility to drive sensibly on our nations highways. Right now the industry is growing so fast and we have many inexperienced drivers out there. If we keep killing people because of inexperience and bad judgement they will only get more strict. My opinion is that we need to be more understanding of their responsibility to keep our highways safe. I will be signing your petition but we need to understand that with rights comes responsibilities.

Scott